When Janice Marriott pictured ringing in 2019, under no circumstances did she think she'd be watching the fireworks, flat on her back, at Auckland's Middlemore Hospital after emergency hand surgery.
The keen gardener had been picking zucchini from her vege patch on December 30, 2018, when she noticed the fronds of her neighbour's Phoenix palm peeking over the fence.
Swiping them back over the fence she felt a sting. Brushing it off as a wasp sting, she continued on with her evening.
Four hours later, her finger was the size of a small banana, but she couldn't see any wounds, so she went to bed.
"By morning the pain was so bad I wasn’t thinking straight," she said.