© New Zealand Broadcasting School 2019

Mosque disturber William Kapea pleads guilty

Court 4
Christchurch District Council metronews

If the Christchurch man has any run-ins with the law over the next year, he may find himself behind bars.

Kapea, from Woolston, verbally abused Muslims outside the mosque on Deans Ave after the March 15 massacres.

The 66-year-old pleaded guilty in the Christchurch District Court to charges of disorderly behaviour and resisting arrest.

Kapea has been on electronically monitored bail since May.

His lawyer said bail breaches had been prompted by grief as a practicing Muslim reacting to the mosque attacks. 

Judge Jane Farish said Kapea’s pre-sentencing report indicated he was in a much better state of mind now than when he first was remanded in custody. She said a year-long good behaviour bond would enable him to continue getting his life back in order. 

If Kapea were to break law over the next 12 months, he may be returned to custody, Farish said.