© New Zealand Broadcasting School 2021

Methven high school evacuated after gas leak

2767108982 db9beafb6c o
Fire and Emergency Services were called to Mount Hutt College at 2.25pm.  Hamilton 411

Emergency services were called to Mount Hutt College in relation to a gas leak.

The Fire and Emergency Service says gas was being released from LPG bottles inside a 20-foot container on the school's grounds.

A spokesperson says for some reason, someone decided to vent the cylinders and drain the gas out of them -  an unwise thing to do.

The college and several neighbouring properties were evacuated at 2.30pm as firefighters worked to contain the leak.

Firefighters say the site was safe just after three o'clock.